Sunday, July 17, 2011

Updating My GAME Plan

Last week I stated I would like to increase my student’s use of technology for learning and creativity as well as be a tech leader in my building, both NETS*T standards.  In my GAME plan, that is my “Goal”, and this week I would like to look at some "Actions" I can take to make my goal a reality.  As stated by Dr. Ertmer in this week's videos, the four requirements for integrating technology effectively involves: "knowledge of technology, confidence that it works, beliefs in problem based learning, and supportive culture."
Carrying out my plan to increase my classroom's digital environment will require some new resources and information from myself and others at the school.  I will be creating a FaceBook page for my professional endeavors before school starts.  I have not run my own website in a while, so I will need to work with our building's technology person to properly upload my site.  On "Back to School" night I will have my FaceBook and website published and handed out to students and parents.  As the year gets moving I will need to record my lectures onto a data file and then upload them to a podcasting site.  I have done this before with student projects.  During the course of the year my lessons will be, "inclusive of all students in the learning environment... and clearly support all students, regardless of special needs" (Cennamo, 2010).
I do have a few question marks I have coming into next year.  One involves my school getting new laptops for each teacher.  The old ones had certain programs build in, but I am apprehensive about their being included again.  I was told that the school is purchasing software that will easily enable all teachers to get their own websites up and running.  I had planned on working on mine over the summer but will now wait until the teacher work days to see if the program works better than others I have used. 
In order to become a tech leader in my building I have sought out my principal's assistance.  Myself and another teacher are to operate an adhoc committee of volunteers that will ostensibly be for the avowed purpose of adding technology projects to teacher's classrooms.  As my principal is sometimes big on ideas but not on follow-up, I plan on seeking out individuals whom I think would be receptive to a few new projects for their classroom.
References
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010).  Program six. Meeting Students’ Needs    with Technology: Part 1. [Webcast]. Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas.           Baltimore, MD: Author.

2 comments:

  1. As I read how you intend to carry out plans to reach your goals, I immediately notice red flags when you mentioned using Facebook social networking site as a classroom tool. I suggest you use caution with this since many educators have been involved in legal battles to keep their certification over posting on www.facebook.com. Tools for privacy located within this site allow only certain individuals access to your page. However, draw back and legal issues concerning students’ privacy surrounds this undertaking as well. I guess my question is how do you go about using a world-wide social networking site as a digital learning tool without being a target for violating your students’ privacy? My reservations stem constant discussion during faculty meeting about social-networking sites and educators. Furthermore, the teacher union organizations publish helpful tips on stay free legal ramifications that comes with such sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valery,
    I appreciate your concern about the use of Facebook for the classroom. One of the easy ways to overcome all of these obstacles, and the method I am using, is to create a "Mr. Waurio" Facebook page that is totally disconnected from my personal page. My personal page, incidentally, is not even searchable by students. I went to a conference with some of my colleagues that discussed the ins and outs of this approach. I think the possibilities are enormous, and properly executed, the risk is minimal. Working with the technology department of my district I have gotten well versed with the recommendations that my district has.
    Thanks!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete